Product name: CHOATE 6.4L Short Block Daily Driver Engine 2008-2010 – Power stroke Ford Diesel Engine
Manufacturer: CHOATE Engineering Performance
CHOATE Part Number : CEP64SD
Fitment : Fits 2008, 2009, 2010 Ford 6.4L Powerstroke Equipped Vehicles
6.4L Short Block Daily Driver – Powerstroke Ford Diesel Engine Includes:
**Optional Parts are not installed. Optional parts are covered under the manufactures warranty and not by CHOATE.**
This build includes:
– Full CNC blueprint machining, (bore, deck, hone, and line honed) – The Cylinder bores are blue print bored to a true 90 degrees from the crankshaft center line, prior to being diamond honed to within .0002″ for precise piston to cylinder bore clearances. We main bore and line hone the crankshaft which is honed to precisely align the crankshaft in the engine block. We bore the block back to the crankshaft center line and hone the block to RA13 finish. The piston diameter measured to the nearest .0001″ matched to cylinder bores. The Cylinder block is surfaced to a finish of RA30 or lower, which meets the factory specification in both flatness and smoothness for the block to head sealing surface. This is mandatory for proper sealing of a MLS Gasket.
– Connecting Rods, New Damper and New Flex plate with automatic transmissions. – Check both wrist pin and crank pin to rod clearances.
– New Upgraded Pistons .10 – .30″ over – NEW Pistons, Rings, Pin Retainers weight matched prior to crank balancing
– Crankshaft – Balanced with the Rotational assembly checked for run-out inspected for fatigue. Crankshaft is Polished and ground to .0005 concentricity or less
-New Rod, Main and Cam Bearings
– Camshaft – Polished and Inspected
-Install Rear Main Seal
-Install New Bed Seals
-Install New Rear Cover Gasket
-Install Upper and Lower Oil Pan Gaskets
-Install Pickup Tube O-ring
-Rear Cover Installed
CHOATE Engineering Performance Crate Engine Features:
This 6.4L Powerstroke is 500 HP rated. This CHOATE engine is fully balanced, and is the perfect engine for spirited daily driving, consumer level towing and everyday life. Upgrades over the Model C include but are not limited to: Torque Plate Honing; Full Engine Balancing; Harmonic Balancer; Head Studs; Valve Seats; Rear Cover and Pickup Tube; Oil Pans; Welded Crank Gear.
Common Issues With The Ford Powerstroke 6.4L (and how we fix them)
Piston Cracking- The 6.4L was plagued with cracking issues due to the design of the
combustion bowl. We use a different piston that was originally designed for the commercial
application of the engine.
Crankshaft Runout–Inherent crankshaft runout issues a recommend due to the
low-speed-high-load design of the turbo systems (high boost at low RPM). This causes the
crankshaft to runout of round, taking up the oil clearances for the mains and causing
catastrophic failure. We DO NOT approve the bending of the crankshaft to straighten,
(which is common practice with many engine rebuilders) as material has memory and will
result in a relapse of the original condition. For this cause we machine the crankshaft to a
truly round and concentric state from journal to journal. This allows the hydro-dynamic
wedge created by the oil to do its job.
**Optional Parts are not installed. Optional parts are covered under the manufacturer’s warranty and not by CHOATE.**